Friday, March 27, 2009

Business

The fabric on this holder is PUL, polyurethane laminate and its slippery. So it doesnt look very neat... Sorry!



I am blogging these by request, the first time I blogged them we were in the rental house so these pictures are better. Frank made the first fabric holders and fabric bins (square wooden boxes) by himself, then I helped with the rest of them and the table. There are 5 fabric holders and when he is home we will probably double that. He helps me with fabric cutting and packing when he is home so its easier to expand that portion of my business with the extra adult!


This is the downstairs kitchen as it were, it used to be a kitchen but now has just 2 sinks and a bit of a counter top in it behind these fabric bales. The fabric holders hold the fabric bales on long metal poles that Frank cut to size. I have a total of 30 bales of fabric though some of them come with no cardboard center so they have to be hand rolled onto a pole which is easier to do with 2 adults. So these just sit in the corners for now and are all short bales so the fabric is tubular and double. Easy for me to pick up and lay on the table to measure and cut from.


The wooden bins behind the table and in the top right of the picture are 4 bins each and can be stacked or stood on end. I need at least 3-4 more of these, there is fabric stacked on top of the bins and also the under the stairway closet is full of flannel. Some of this fabric I sell and the rest I use to make the products that I sell here. This table was made by Frank also, and is on sliders. Even Nathalie can move the table across the room. I move it up to the fabric holder room (the table is in what we call the downstairs dining room and to photo it I am standing in the downstairs living room but its really one big room) to cut fabric off of the bales.


Table moved up, I cut fabric this morning for orders that sold last night. I am not finished but took a break to clean up the wooden floor and carpet of all the fabric scraps. I am famous for throwing the scraps as I cut with no care for the mess I make but after all, I clean up the mess!


Measuring tape on the table makes cutting easy, I use a rotary cutter by gingher and scissors of the same brand. They are the sharpest and longest lasting scissor/cutter brand that I have found. Each of the children have a smaller pair of gingher scissors and when using scissors elsewhere were horrified at how hard they had to work! These scissors cut through like butter!

Frank wants to get more into fabric selling business as its less work. Less profit than a made product but quicker to put out. So when he comes home, we will expand this even more as I will have the help. We need more fabric holders, more bins, another large table and of course his help... We want to expand my business so that it is a part of our retirement plan. Looking good so far!

No comments: