Monday, November 24, 2008

Guineas for dinner

Last night, two of our guineas made the executive decision not to go into the barn. Perhaps they were out dating or something. They are not smart. They dont realize that their 4th member was out only 1 night and he/she was thoroughly eaten. Feathers and down were left behind in a rather messy pile.

So this morning I went out and let the chickens (who may be dumb but willingly go in at night) and one guinea out of the barn. They spend their sunny hrs pecking at the ground and being aggravated by goats and cats. The one poor guinea raised such a fuss looking for her friends!(yes she is a female, they call differently). As I walked back to the house, nona started at something and I looked, I mean she starts at an empty feed bag but I looked, and there is a near frozen guinea! I mean really, his tail feathers are frozen on his butt! He ruffled up a bit when nona budged him and he began to slowly travel to the barn and regained his voice as he went and called to the girl guinea. I laughed at laughed at his frozen butt!

I am amazed he made it a night out, I really am. I wish I could say he was "smart" enough to go into the barn tonight but I doubt it. He may, but the other may not and it wont be sense but chance.

My grammie said yesterday how she worried about me going out in the cold doing chores alone. I love the cold so so much! I waited years to live where it is cold and sunny (germany for 2.5 yrs, rained for 2 of them and was cold.) I wear wool out and many layers and I feel nice and cozy unless watering bc that is a gloveless job. I have waited all summer for the cold and love it love it now! Especially alone in the early mornings while my children snooze in a warm house and the sun is in the east casting pink and purple and orange. I love this prairie and her cold, cold wind and happy sun that casts its light and heat through the cold as if it is happy to be here with the wind. Kansas is lovely, to all of you who have been told otherwise, me included. Its just lovely to people like me. Dont move here, you wont like it because you are predisposed not to and plus, I like it underpopulated.

No comments: