Saturday, November 22, 2008

Comic relief

So I was out in the barn this morning, feeling like a crazy lady bc who purposely sets themselves up to go outside every morning in freezing weather... I broke the ice in the big black trash barrels, milked 2 goats, fed 7 birds (chickens and guineas), petted 4 cats who were sleeping in the feedbarn straw, gave everyone fresh water and then started in with my milk bucket full of 1 gal of fresh milk. I heard a strange noise behind me and saw nona coming out the feed barn with a sour cream container on her nose/mouth! I started laughing of course, she ran up to me for help. This is one of the containers the kids use to scoop out bird grains. There were some grains in the bottom of it I am sure and nona thought she would eat them.

I laughed quite a bit and didnt help her at first, by the time I meant to she got it off with her foot and then she began to stamp on it over and over with both front feet, ran away from it and then back again to stomp it some more. She wasnt able to crush it as it kept popping away from her hoove. I took it back to the feedbarn where she had stolen in from and put it on the shelve to save her from herself.

It was comic relief at 7 am when its cold and frosty and pretty and quiet. Frank would have loved to see her get her face stuck in a cup!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What I would do to have a picture of that!

Jo Abair said...

I have more than once wished I carried a camera out to do chores, you should see a guinea "puff up."

Unknown said...

Describe that please? guinea pig puffing up???

Jo Abair said...

A guinea hen! It looks like cross between a vulture and a chicken, built like a chicken but a bald ugly vulture head. They have specked gray feathers and light gray colored soft down fluff. You dont see the fluff unless they get angry or scared and then the speckled feathers raise up and the down fluffs and they grow! And then they make a loud alarm clucking/singing sound.

Unknown said...

And the purpose of having guinea hens is what again? Do they lay eggs that you eat or are you going to eat the hens themselves??

Jo Abair said...

We may eat them but as it stands, they are perfectly good at being eaten themselves... They do lay eggs and create new owl bait (their biggest predator), but mostly they are a great organic pest control. They eat bugs, most esp grasshoppers which are in mass quantity on the prairie which is us, and this summer when we moved in there were hundreds of grasshoppers. The guineas will spend summer days eating them and saving my garden.