Monday, July 30, 2012

Last of the roof

Photobucket
So once again, bad order. Sorry. Maybe someday blogger will go back to normal, I am not holding my breath. We had to cut the last sheet of metal for both sides, well he split one down the middle and used 1/2 for each side. Not a lot of photos because Tad and I pushed the metal up, Frank pulled them up from there and Nathalie stayed on the roof handing him tools and screws the whole time. It was fast enough, putting the metal down, that Tad and I hardly had a break between sheets. It was hard for us to carry, because it is long and heavy. Tad is a hard worker, thank goodness we have both of them! She wore out up there and dissolved into tears once, so of course Frank stabilized the current sheet and went up to comfort her.
Photobucket
She had a blast, she became comfortable up there quickly. She learned that her rubber boot bottoms keep her safe as long as she listens and pays attention. I am sure Tad would have had more fun up there, but the metal was too heavy for her and I to manage alone so they could not take turns.
Photobucket
Sometimes I had to be on this ladder to help line up the metal, Frank keeps it pretty comfortable though. He can do so much himself from the top side,I dont end up feeling unsafe. If I do, then he just changes the plan to something that does not overwhelm me.
Photobucket
When we got all of the roof panels on but the last, Nathalie climbed down to do chores, Tad climbed up to help apply the last piece and the roof cap and I went in to make dinner. It was 9:30 at night before we were eating, this photo was taken at about 8:45. It stays light here for so long!
Photobucket
Tad climbing down for some tool, I think Frank had to pre-drill all of the holes for some reason. The metal would not stay lined up, it was a pain.The ridge cap took much longer than he expected for this reason but it looks so good!
Photobucket
I took most of these pictures from the porch steps in between making homemade tortillas. Sometimes our "homemade" lifestyle is overwhelming when we are so busy. Sometimes N makes dinner alone and sometimes I do,but it is often a family affair. We often all 4 come in exhausted and hurry to make dinner and clean up together.
Photobucket
I think the green looks good. We really were thinking green and yellow look good together, but I think we are done with yellow. The greenhouse and house are already yellow, so we will go with a traditional red barn. Red and green look well together, kinda christmasy but its good. Many more pictures to come, this was Tuesday night. We took 1 night off, and during that night we shopped for the next nights...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a very nice looking barn!

Jo Abair said...

it is right? I cant wait for it to be painted. it has siding now, not quite done. we have to finish the siding, do trim and put in front and side doors. Then we are done except for windows which we have to get from Kenny.