Saturday, December 13, 2008

Seamstress

You might be a seamstress...

When your children can name 4 types of elastic.

When your son can pick out the cream colored wide wale ribbing at the fabric store while you stand at the cut counter.

When your childrens favorite game is fabric store (which includes apprehending someone who ROBS the fabric store-as if anyone would...)

When your children can accurately guess the weight per yard of a certain type of fabric.

When your children can tell you which type of stitch to use for a specific garment hem.

When they can tell the difference between resin snap dies and metal snap dies, and use the snap press themselves.

And this is the conversation you may hear from them to me:

Mommy, um, your stitch isnt straight enough on this hem.

Its okay mom, its not perfect but I am sure you will do better next time. Maybe you should pin it before sewing it?

Mom can I borrow a piece of interlock that matches this jersey I am working with?

Words heard between each other:

That isnt going to work unless you cut the neckline a bit bigger.

If you dont start backstitching better your stuff is going to fall apart.

Dont cut from the middle of the fabric! Use the edge, you are being wasteful.

You need to cut along your grainline proper or it wont stretch.

Words not heard here:

Camo and stripes dont go together.

You cant put green ribbing on a pink shirt.

Boys cant use purple fabric in their quilts (fabric stores are heavy on girl fabrics so we make do...)

Thats ugly (though sometimes this would be appropriate, they lean towards supportive)

Dont use 3 prints in one outfit. (who would say this? my mom, my husband... )

You should iron that (wouldnt that be kind of like, um I dont know, brush your hair???)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How rude...the blog didn't post my comment. Perhaps that is because it disagrees with me and agrees with you.

I do still love you BUT:

Camo and stripes will never and have never matched...just trust us all on that one.

Furthermore, no two, three, four (and certainly not more that that) prints will ever match. Not in this life or the next...:)

Jo Abair said...

Seth says I am right though and says that girls wearing things like stripe knee socks and print skirts are CUTE! And he is a MAN so he must be right. You and mom, and nikki, and everyone else are the ones that are bent...

Unknown said...

I am in no way bent.

Jo Abair said...

Oh but it sounds so funny when you say that! I mean laugh out loud funny bc I can hear you saying it! Incredulous like as if ANYONE would ever insinuate such!