Saturday, January 10, 2009

Challenge

Do you know what the CPSIA is? Its a bill, consumer product safety improvment act. Its a bill that will shut down small businesses all over America. Its a bill that is going to stomp on the American dream for many and is going to add to the numbing sensation you dont realize you have. That feeling that you will realize later is inside of you that says you dont get to make many decisions. That feeling that you will later wish you could have done something about.

I have talked to a lot of people about this. I have had many reactions, I have the "this is good for children because we are trying to keep them safe." I have had the "this is absolutely horrible and its killing our freedom, AGAIN! Like many of the laws, rules and bills we now live with." I have been told more than once that because I am a woman, I am overemotional. I have been told that this is for the greater good, you know what? I am the greater good, so are you, so are your offspring.

This bill will make businesses that sell goods for children under the age of 12 have to meet new testing requirements. Testing requirements that are near impossible, even for big businesses. We have to test our baby gowns, our books, our wooden toys, our cloth diapers, anything for a child under the age of 12. We cannot just have component testing, certifications showing that each part of the product is lead and pthalate free, we have to have unit testing. Which of course destroys the unit. Unit testing for every size and color offered, and each part must be tested and yes you pay for each part. Not the unit.

I sell these goods, cloth diapers, baby clothes, baby accessories. The things that I sell very likely dont include lead. They probably dont include any chemicals that are going to kill or injure a baby or child. Its very unlikely. On the off chance, I wouldnt mind component testing. I am not trying to be difficult. But this bill makes it impossible for a small business to afford the testing required.

There are people working to acheive exceptions. I am not trying to be negative, but its pretty unlikely. There is hope, but then thats because people need hope. Hope that their democratic government wont really make a move that kills even more of our struggling economy.

If they do? Forget about handmade, one of a kind items. Give up etsy and hyena cart. Know that there are many mamas and papas who are now struggling even more than before. The individuals who make up the greater good are struggling already. Add this to the list, and make it big. Because it is. Remember that numbing sensation? Can you feel it yet? Dont worry. You will.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I know! This bill is just ridiculous! I'm just wondering how long it will take for them to realize how much this will be a disaster for the nation. I can't help but think that they'll have to just take this act and dump it in the toilet.

Angoraknitter said...

I hear you! I was just thinking about all the cloth diapers I might ant to stock up on just in case. Many wonderful, small cottage industry products I love and would rather used, might become unavailable.

And I better improve my sock knitting, quick!