Saturday, October 8, 2011

Textured hallway

Photobucket
Okay so this isnt textured, nor is it the hall and foyer which were textured yesterday. This is the kitchen, those who have been to my house know that there was some nasty wallpaper, and weird fake grape vine decorations on the wall. Now it is just painted a nice cream color! Really does lighten it up, make it look less 1970s. The cabinets are still dark and dated, but only 10 things at a time right?

Photobucket
Yesterday, Eric and the kids textured. I went to Lowes with Nathalie in the morning, to pick up what we would need and additional remodel items, Tad hung out with Eric riding the Harley and working on shop things at his house. I picked up a box of drywall mud and Eric (with the children's expert help-all 4 of them- mixed it with the right amount of water to make texture.

Photobucket
Why would I post 2 of the same pictures? They are not the same! It is just Eric's signature, "you really asked that question?" look and Tad gave several no-brainer questions out for the world.

Photobucket
"Dad!" Jeff alerts us to a forseen problem in the hall. We ignore him several times. Then Dad answers and goes down the hall, works on air compressor then comes back to finish mixing.

Photobucket
This hall is the one that I mudded the paneling lines on. 4 times. Sanded each time. Never could get it quite right. Primed it, painted 3 coats of cream color. It wasnt right still. Then some of the deeper lines cracked. Justina and Eric are expert at remodeling, they have done a lot of it. They both said texturing was the only answer. So here we are! I am so grateful that they had the tools, the time and the knowledge to help me (again.) seems they save me a lot???

Photobucket
I have a hard time getting pictures of Tristin, he doesnt pose much and he rarely smiles for photos. He smiles, laughs and jokes often just not when I grab a camera. He asked me 3 times yesterday how many photos did I possibly need!

Photobucket
Nathalie needs to get a closer view apparently, thankfully she didnt step in the additional mud. She managed to get mud on her new jeans though she didnt do any work!

Photobucket
Tristin helping dad mix, it has to be the consistency of oatmeal. Arguably different people like soupier oatmeal. So I would venture to say it has to be the consistency of the oatmeal that Eric makes.

Photobucket
Nathalie was gonna just climb into the bucket but Eric said she shouldnt this time. She also asked him what it tasted like, he told her Not Oatmeal! He said chalk, though I was surprised he didnt offer her a taste!

Photobucket
Now Jeff and Eric are working on the air compressor, it didnt like my house and it said no thanks to being helpful but they got it back on track. You can see to the right the first texture part. These photos are clearly out of order...

Photobucket
They mixed a small amount to start out with and then just mixed more. It didnt take long, the texture gun (I think it is called this) only uses a certain amount at once, then you refill it. It goes a long way also, such a small amount would spread over a huge amount of wall.

Photobucket
I believe Nathalie is giving me the evil eye here! What did I do??

Photobucket
Jeff steps in to help. He did all of the texturing himself. His dad helped him some, making suggestions but mostly he did it alone. He has done it once before but seen his parents doing it as well.

Photobucket
Aww look! I got a smile! I took about 20 pictures to get this one. He has a piece of candy in the side of his cheek, but its a smile! I didnt even sneak up on him to get it.

Photobucket
I taped off the door frames, well Jeff taped some last wk then we ran out, so I finished. I also taped off light switches and sockets. We took off their covers first. The floor has brown paper and plastic, but really the bits of mud that got on the carpet vaccum up easily.

Photobucket
The hall is hard because there is no space to stand back. If he steps into one doorway, then when he comes out he cannot get as far back from the next bit of wall. He did a great job staying even despite this.

Photobucket
Now Jeff is learning how to mix. He knew when it was too much/not enough water both by sight and mixing himself.

Photobucket
The drill here has a paint mixer on the end. I am glad Eric brought his as I forgot to get one. This is one of the things that we did have in the shop which of course we have no more.

Photobucket
If you look at both of them from the back you would swear that Jeff was the parent. He is already bigger than Eric! He will turn 16 in a few days. These two were telling me here how Mom is the expert at texturing. She wasnt here yet, she arrived from work shortly before the job was done.

Photobucket
Now how many people does it take to fix a garbage disposal? Really just one. Two of them are here to watch, one is here to help and be next to his wife, and the wife is the one who is the ultimate plumber.

Photobucket
She found a penny stuck in there, under something. I have tried to go fish and find what was in there, but without success. Partly because I hate garbage disposals and also because, I dont know what I am doing.

Photobucket
This picture is fuzzy I know, but I like to watch Tad and Jeff talk. Like his dad, Jeff needs his hands and facial expressions or I think he would be mute. When Tad is with him, he expresses himself much the same way as if it is contagious.

Photobucket
They used a flashlight, running water and a screwdriver. It took several minutes of messing around with it and Eric was ready to take it out/drop it down when she found the penny.

They also fixed some stuff in the bathroom, and Justina helped me figure out how the toilet flange repair should work. The flange is broken a little and I dont want to completely replace it.

I am so glad that they came to help me, the hallway looked quite terrible. Last night the kids and I (kids couldnt sleep) sprayed down the door frame parts that I didnt paint and wiped them down, the excess texture wipes right off with a wet cloth 2 min after I spray it with charlies cleaner. Today I need to prime and paint the walls in there and then it is done except molding. Then my bathroom still needs tile! Work is endless right?

No comments: