Saturday, August 11, 2012

Camp fire

Photobucket
My son is telling me about power cords, slides, combinations, reverb... and I am lost so I thought I would blog instead while I enjoy the sounds of "a beautiful guitar."
Photobucket
Give a man a camera... He and Tad built our fire area. They made a fire pit and a rock oven inside of this graveled bed. The bed, to me, looks like it may have had a swing set once. the people who built this house though, in 2005, had a handicapped child who could not play at all. Then the 2nd owners, we bought the house from, had no swingset. So I really dont know the intended purpose but we have made a cook out area.
Photobucket
Most of these rocks, the large ones, were hauled in by the last owner for his son to do rock crawling with his remote control cars. We have found uses for some, but really there are just rocks everywhere here.We live on a mountain, if you dig down 1 ft, you come up with rocks bigger than my head. And you wont find much dirt, mostly just rocks.
Photobucket
Tad setting up chairs. They use the wheel barrow to move rocks, wood, each other. Poop. Straw. Feed. Possibly cases of beer. Just kidding.. we dont buy that much at once! My boys cooked salmon, rice and cornbread. They wanted potatoes but we were out. the salmon came out great, Nathalie doesnt like it and I am not super fond of fish.She would probably rather eat a live snake. We have friends who give us fresh salmon, because they love to fish and they have boats so they have too much fish from having so much fun. We like to fish, but we dont have a boat. And NO my son and husband, we do not have the money for a boat. Or a 4 wheeler. Or a 4 seater.
Photobucket
Nathalie is working the bellows. A metal pipe and a trash bag made good coals very quickly which were needed in the stone oven area for the cornbread.
Photobucket
See? This is inventive. I think Frank read this in a book. I dont know why the trashbag doesnt melt. Doesnt the metal tube get hot?
Photobucket
Another book thing, we read a lot of books on living in the wild, surviving, living off the land. They recommend a lot of outside cooking techniques. This is my spider dutch oven, which I love.It made great cornbread. He put coals on the pebbles, put the oven on them, put coals on the top. It took a long time, probably 45 min but that was because our recipe was a bit large...enough for say, 16 people! We had a good time, it is always good to have fires in Ak. Always. It is too hot to have a fire um...never. If it actually reaches 75 and sunny you are lucky as hell and wont be starting a fire, you will likely strip nude and worship the sun in the middle of your yard until a cloud passes over and you are freezing and still vitamin D deficient. And no, taking vit D wont help as the body only absorbs about 10 % of supplements, mostly its a waste of money and hard on your liver. 

No comments: