Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Red Barn

Photobucket
Nathalie's mean face
Photobucket
Tad's I dont care face
Photobucket
We bought a sprayer for this project, stated yesterday evening. Frank and I taped the roof off and started spraying. The whole job took about 2 hrs.
Photobucket
The guy at lowes said for us to roll it after Frank sprayed so this was my job. It makes it work into the siding better.
Photobucket
Tad and Nathalie took turns being gophers, photographers, watching the paint can for when it ran out and sometimes doing the rolling.
Photobucket
Paint can watching. The kids did well, we have been getting them on a better schedule. They always work hard, but they have been tired. They are going to bed between 8 and 8:30 for now, they get up at 6 to get ready to swim.
Photobucket
Finished with side one, I finished rolling it while Frank and kids moved around to front.
Photobucket
Frank painted the underhang red as well, but the facia boards and trim (trim not up yet) will be white. He is out buying 1x4s on his lunch break, when he gets home from work we will paint them. okay no, he called. 1x4s are 5 $+ each, 2x4s are 2.38. So we are ripping 2x4s down which is fine. Much cheaper.
Photobucket
Can you spot the duck? She was not alarmed, she never is. The turkeys are pretty calm too. The goats moved back to the little building and dog kennel until tomorrow morning. They would be paint-eaters.
Photobucket
The ladders have to be adjusted each time we move them, we have 2x6 scraps that we put under the ladder feet as needed.
Photobucket
He did all the hard work...Just kidding, spraying is easy! It went really fast, faster than I expected. Usually Frank is over-optimistic but this time he was right, it went fast.
Photobucket
Nathalie was making faces at me, trying to catch me making an ugly one back but she never did. Ok fine I deleted them.
Photobucket
What the...oh Tad had the camera. All sorts of weird things were photographed. I will save you from the ones that involved poop.
Photobucket
Helping daddy. When we were taping, I said to her "come around here with me, you are mine for this job." She says, "oh but mama, I belong to daddy!"
Photobucket
Sometimes the paint was too heavy so I had to go empty my brush elsewhere, and other times the cracks were not filled well enough. It will take us some time but there will be other jobs to paint as well.
Photobucket
See the red shirt? I look horrible in red so it is my paint shirt, my crap shirt. And yet, somehow it is nicer than some of my NICE clothes.
Photobucket
Accessing and issue. I dont remember what it was and likely I was not even listening when he was telling me about it. But I bet I handed up tools!
Photobucket
We needed the gate open for a bit, and the turkey wants to come out. She often does and goes right back in with us. She is very friendly.
Photobucket
The painting went so fast! It seemed like the moving of ladders, tools and paint operation took longer than each wall. It was a great experience really. worth the money.
Photobucket
"Hey turkey. You know what I am making? I am carving a tiny canoe out of a piece of birchbark."
Photobucket
"See my canoe turkey? You can taste it if you like to. It wont hurt you. "
Photobucket
Nathalie was "helping."
Photobucket
Both of the kids wanted to use the paint sprayer so they did on the back wall. Shortly after Tad began, it quit working! Just quit, sounded like it burned out.
Photobucket
Frank trying to find out why. It is brand new, and its a nice brand! It has good reviews. I would be surprised if it burned up the pump just painting one barn, with breaks in between spraying.
Photobucket
After trying to fix it for some time, Nathalie gave it a try. "Daddy its working. Am I magic?" Yes baby. You be magic.
Photobucket
After her turn, he sprayed quickly and tried to get it finished before it quit again. It quit at about the last 2x3 foot section which was not hard to do by hand. He cleaned it well, and will just have to exchange it. Perhaps this one had a glitch.Glad it worked so far though so we didnt have to exchange it yesterday while trying to get it painted on our ONE sunny day. It is already gray again and supposed to rain all week. As usual. makes hard painting weather.
Photobucket
So there you have it, I need to back off and take a photo showing the green roof with the red barn. The contrast is nice. We did a good job! we are getting there, slowly but surely. Today I am exhausted and want a nap. I was up at 4, awake at 3. I have woken at 3, 3 days in a row. I do not know why I am waking, I just lay in bed. Now this morning was my first day to swim from 5:30-6:30 a.m. I am pretty worn! Will be back to swim again on Friday, and will continue 3 days a week year around.
T

No comments: