Thursday, November 8, 2007

Clay girl





Yes I know she is nude. If this is inappropriate for anyone, I do cry your pardon. I think she is beautiful this way. I dont have a good picture of her face, I was thinking of beginnings and the perfection of life at the start of it. I want another baby very badly, and I think that nursing bonds mommy and baby more than anything else! For me anyways... My best friend's son chose to have raku clay as the activity for his birthday party. I had no intent to make a bowl, or a sort of looks like an animal clay production. So I made nothing. Nikki (best friend) told the kids to shut their eyes and think of what they wanted to make, something that meant something to them. So I thought, and came upon a mother nursing a baby. Now I have never touched clay, I dont even like play dough and never did. I dont mind being messy though, so I gave it a shot. I came up with the girl here, and somehow she is a girl rather than a woman. Maybe because she looks like a prehistoric woman, she has the flatter forehead and wider, less protruding chin. Her jaw is wide and thicker and her hair seems clumpier than ours. Some studies show that prehistoric people became adult at young ages. She took me about 4 hrs, I think.
This clay is done by starting with a large piece and sort of carving it off with wet fingers or some tools, carefully. I used a butterknife! I was able to easily form her muscles, at her shoulders and legs. She is very thin, but that is how I look and how I best knew how to form her. Her baby is nursing, though you may not be able to see this. She isnt dry yet, she also didnt make it through the firing. I am glad I took these pictures of her!
I loved the clay, I loved seeing what I saw in my head come to life. I like to draw, and I am okay at it, but not amazing. I love photography but dont have a great camera. But for 11 $ I can buy a big pkg of this clay, and make whatever I like! Once again, I wont be perfect at it, but I loved it. I loved the way it felt, like sewing. I love the way the fabric gives, comes and goes, stretches and pulls.
I am sorry she broke, but she was my best so far masterpiece all the same...

No comments: