Sunday, November 4, 2007

Family cloth

Off the top of my head, here is an interesting list:

Paper towels
disposable dusters
swiffer wet sheets
swiffer dry sheets
clorox or lysol wipes (or off brand of either)
baby wipes
wet wipes for hands
toilet paper
toilet wand cleaning pads
kleenex
throw away napkins
tampons
maxi pads

Now consider:
Cloth paper towels- a large quantity of cheap washable kitchen towels work for this
Microfiber duster-needs to be washed about every 8-10 household dustings
Microfiber cover for swiffer-works for wet and dry, wash every 3-4 moppings.
For clorox or lysol wipes- home made washies or cheap washcloths
wet wipes and baby wipes-same as above
toilet paper-lets not give that up...
toilet wand pads-well if you are a seamstress, keep the small scraps you would have to throw away otherwise.
kleenex and throwaway napkins- I made muslin ones but some cheap cloths would do.
tampons-this may be a stretch unless you are allergic to tampons but here goes. Diva cup or keeper cup. Amazing items...
pads-once again, a stretch just after TP, but if you are allergic (rash, itching, many uncomfortable problems I wont list here) then its a welcome relief to use washable ones.

So that is my environmental post for the week. I know I am officially weird. My kids will probably grow up and say, why couldnt you have just bought a pkg of paper towels or peanut butter that didnt have to be stirred??? Well, its a risk I must take.

I recently heard a number of people discussing the environment. They had no plans to help it in any manner, they would use disposable bath towels if they were offered. And they dont care because God will come back soon, and make a new earth! Well, lets look at it this way. Do any of you really think that God wants us to destroy what he gave us just because he can make a new one? We are trying to teach our children this on a smaller scale. My son will break something because he isnt paying attention, I will remind him that he must pay attention. His answer used to be, but daddy can fix it! Daddy can fix anything! Well, he sure can fix a lot of things. Things other daddies wouldnt know how, or would just think the trash was the best place for the item. The fixing aside, dont break it bc someone big and kind will come along and help you out. I know that there are verses in the bible concerning this, I honestly dont know them off the top of my head. I WILL research this. My friend Angela often know bible verses that pertain to situations and she will be happy to read up on this with me.

I know that the bible tells us our bodies are the temples of God. So we SHOULD care for them. He gave us a body, to care for until he makes it perfect again. He doesnt council us to trash them because he will fix them. So feed your body well, feed your mind well, and care for the beauty he has granted us. He gave me the dirt, the grass, the trees. He gave the animals home as well, animals we are destroying with our ways. One of the greatest ways to thank him would be to stop throwing away what he gave us.

I am not trying to judge anyone for doing things differently than me. I just recently was able to convert my home to cloth. I used cloth diapers and wipes on my babies largley, but other things were throwaway like paper towels, dusters etc. Now, we are almost disposable free! I think everyone needs to do something, drive a car with good gas milage, use some cloth items, buy cleaners that are bio friendly. We use all biofriendly cleaners and our home smells nice! There are no chemical odors and we know that the cleaners are just as effective at killing bacteria. The cost isnt greater either, and our grocery/misc budget is down 40 every 2 wks with our cloth use and because I trade for bio friendly cleaners.

My plan is to convince people that while they dont have to all the way, they could put in a bit of effort to save some of what HE gave us. Praise with your actions, not just your words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, you should look at www.chrisianhomesteaders.org and read the quotes under "How to REscue the Earth without worshipping nature" I think you will like it.

Jo