Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Sewing and cooking!





These are pictures of some of my day, yesterday and this morning. I have been in a clothes sewing mood, usually its diapers. I have made a lot for the children and some for us, and more cloth for our home of course. Now I have found a good use for my scraps, the green onesie is made from washable wool fabric that was leftover after making long johns for the kids and for my ebay store. The onesie is a sz 56, which I think is a 0-3 mo?
Last night, Tad complained that he had no clean pjs. Well this is twofold, one I cant seem to get them to stop putting them in the hamper after 1 or 2 wears. They bathe before bed! They reuse their towel, and only change sheets once a wk. So I made him a pr of pj pants! I didn't have quite enough for a shirt too but the pants are cute. I cut them from a little girls shorts pattern, and just made it bigger and longer! They were a bit lower than I like, but he loves them! This soft flannel was a pc my grammie gave me that she bought years ago.
Last night we had pork chops, new potatoes boiled and broccoli. The pork chops were a family pack, bc it was cheaper that way. I didn't want the meat to go bad, so I cut it into pcs this morning, put them in the crock pot with cut up new potatoes, some frozen peas and carrots which my family love, 4 cups of beef broth made with bullion cubes, cut up onion, fresh minced garlic, some seasoning and there you go! Homemade provencial stew. I think its pretty in the crock pot. We will eat it tomorrow for dinner and have enough leftovers to freeze for a lunch for Frank. We are buying a freezer, hopefully today. I want to do freezer meals, I have learned that double zip lock bags do great with freezer meals, though I would love a small machine for the freezing job. The freezer comes first obviously! I have read on other peoples blogs lately about having a cooking day and freezing meals. Its a wonderful idea, we have been doing that some but don't have a big enough freezer.
Lastly, I have a great way to not waste veggies! I have a bad habit of buying too many fresh ones and then they go bad. So now, I have been blanching and freezing them, onions, zucchini, yellow squash etc. Then I can take them out later and steam them, its the same as buying frozen veggies. Only they taste better bc they are more fresh and this way they don't rot in the fridge bin before we get to them! This is also a great thing to do when veggies are on sale. Buy fresh fruit like this and freeze it and you have smoothie ingredients. Our grocery bill has gotten lower and lower since we stopped buying junk, disposable items, cleaners and started making homemade foods more. We feel healthier and I am loving cooking days!
Next I have to make banana bread. I bought a lot of bananas on sale and have let them turn brown on purpose!

1 comment:

ReginaML said...

Jo- you know I love camo! What are you doing with that camo... uh.. for Dominic?!
smiles.. Regina