Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Homeschool day 1

So today is our first official day of homeschool. We ususally, since Tad was 3, do school year around. Of course it was play learning when he was younger. We have never missed a summer. My kids really missed it this summer and most homeschool families start in early september or even august with the public school kids. We have been very busy doing the 2 adult tasks as we call them and above all spending time with daddy. He is leaving very soon for deployment so I allow the kids to follow him around the property working with him or watching him or just hanging out while he works. I follow him around quite a bit myself... When he is inside they hang with him while he watches a movie, follow him and hand him lightbulbs while he removes the energy suckers from the fixtures and adds in an efficient bulb, sit and stare at him while he does homework and enjoy their time playing with him. Even when exhausted he is quick to jump on the trampoline with them or build a new windmill, or explain how power works.
They have thoroughly enjoyed this time with him, I love and respect him even more for all that he does for us. Ladies, love your husband for his position as the leader of your home rather than for his performance, and his performance will soar!
As daddy is at work today, we did school! Nathalie is using The Reading lesson to follow 100 easy. Usually a child could move into pathways but she insists she cant/wont read. So we are not pushing, this is a program similar to 100 easy, but wont be as repetitive as she has done 100. Tad is reading the 2nd grade book in the I wonder series. I like this because it has a memory verse that they both learn and we talk about how it relates to our lives. We also used cuisenaire rod math today, they are needing something than just the workbook. I think we will order verbal math by the same company as The reading lesson.
Next we did sequential spelling, I highly recommend this! Its our favorite spelling program. The kids do their handwriting book for fun at random times and go through a yr program every 3 mo and so have done print, cursive and 2 levels of italics.
We were going to do story of the world but I accidently ordered only the activity book... Will place a new order today. I ordered a bible curriculum but Frank was very uncomfortable with its message. Its message was that a family of children saved another child by bringing him to church. The message was that the child only came to God through church and we believe it can be outside of church so we are sending it back and I think for now I will do as a local homeschool mom suggested and just use the bible!
Today our lesson for life is "obey quickly, not foolishly." Thus when I tell my children to please clean up, I want to hear yes maam and see quick movement towards the task and then get to watch them work diligently and happily. Rather than seeing them dance about and be silly and work slowly.

No comments: