Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Country life

I must say that country life is very busy compared to city life. Or perhaps thats because I stay home! We have moved into our new house and its a lot of work. The previous owners both worked and 2 acres of the land had become rather out of control. We have 6 acres total, 3 fenced in behind the house (field-ish area), knee high grass. Then about 1 acre where the house sits and it has nicely manicured grass which is fire ant and prickly dead grass free! Lastly is a 2 acre portion where the remaining 5 outbuildings sit and this is also fenced in. However, this section had 5-8 ft tall reeds, very large around and difficult to cut. We have rented a push behind bush hogger for a day, accomplished about 1/3 and since then Frank has been using a electric trimmer. We still have about 25 % to go!
The house is rather large, 3600 sq ft living space plus a oversized 2 car garage attached and 2 unfinished rooms, the pump room and the herb room. Half of the house is a walk out basement. 5 bed, 4 bath. Very comfortable ranch home. The whole acreage is fenced off in its various parts which is nice for the kids.
The outbuildings are a horse barn, a chicken/goat barn, a hay barn (3 sided), and 2 stone outbuildings. Lastly, in the goat area, is his shop. A very large garage/shop, much larger than the 2 car. His tools and new mower/mower trailor live here. Then in the yard area is my garden shed which will house the tiller and various other garden tools.
There is so much work to be done here! For the 2nd wk of our best friends visiting, they helped to move us in and unpack us. Nikki and I did a huge amount of sewing for our 2 wks, we made 6 + plus (9 for the girls) outfits for 6 children including pullovers, hoodies and long johns.
I have so much to write and not enough time! I love our new home and the lifestyle we can finally lead. We are buying goats and chickens for milk, meat and eggs. We will be doing year around gardening, I have a lime, lemon and banana plant started indoors as well as seedlings. Frank will be making my greenhouse this wkend if the one stone building has enough lighting. The life I have always wanted is a farm life in the country. We are right outside of the city limits here, close enough to people if we need something but far enough away from the noise of the world to hear God more clearly. It is a great place for our family, and I thank God for our blessings.
I have much more to post about our friends visit, sewing projects, home baking and much more!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Country life is the BEST life...can't imagine raising my kids any other way. Hope you enjoy the gardening. When I was a young girl I never really appreciated it but it's so amazing to see it for all the different things it is-solace, teaching instrument, something to be proud of, provider, good exercise, heaven on earth, and so much more! Wish we lived closer :o).

Jo Abair said...

I wish that so much! I will continue picking your brain anyways... You have taught me so much this year, and I thank you!