Monday, October 29, 2007

Homeschool






Okay so here is why I homeschool! Not just because I like them, but because they have a chance at real life experience. Not many kids get to learn their parents trade. My kids help with drywalling, they know what tools to get for daddy, how to unlock the shed to get the tools. My son knows where to get them from in the tool chest! Even I don't know that... They know how engines work- in part. They can both sew, and now Tad can make inserts for the diapers on the serger. I have an attic full of fabric bales and bins now, we organized yesterday. My children can stock bins, pick fabric by style i.e., go get some flannel print in a girl color. Nathalie will bring down as many choices as she can carry. Tad knows the difference in hemp fleece and cotton fleece, by the weight, the feel of the fabric.
I learned long ago that I sew not only because I know how but because I listen. I know thats crazy, but this is my blog thus my crazy spot. I hear fabric, I dont just feel it. I can listen to it, know how to pull and push it, when to let the machine take it so it doesnt get too stretched out. I cant teach someone to listen, I can only hope they hear. As children, we all heard. My children do hear, I dont have to explain it. I try and they can tell me what I mean, what I am trying to say. They understand, dont worry mommy. I know what you mean.
This is my greatest advocacy for homeschool. My children understand herbs from nikki, nursing from nana, cars and houses from daddy, sewing from mommy. And they can read, write, do arithmatic and know who hitler was. And who American Indians are, and how many continents there are, and the order of the planets in the solar system, and why the moon follows us at night...

No comments: