Friday, March 7, 2008

Little ol'


This is Nathalie playing little ol' in the yard by herself. Little did she know that her brother was aiming at her and "shooting" her with his mamut stick.




Here Tad is shooting her, I have the pictures backwards. The top picture of him shooting was when he heard my camera and looked back. I think he knew in his heart, it isnt right to shoot someone playing little ol'.



Now they are both playing little ol'.


So Little ol' is a game that my children made up some time ago and they have many hours of fun playing it. I catch them playing it alone or together but something tells them it isnt a game to share with others. They began the game by calling it little ol' man. One or both would either use or pretend to use some sort of walking stick and walk about an say in a creaky voice, "I am a little ol' man!" And that was it. Well now it has gone further into just acting silly and foolish while creaking out little ol' sentences. Tad has a stick he found at a fellow homeschoolers house that we call the mamut stick (3rd book in the Earth's Children series by Jean Auel about the ice age.) He uses this stick as a gun, walking stick, oar for a pretend boat, as a threat to his sister and his little ol' stick. Sometimes Nathalie is allowed to play little ol' with it as well. The game is shortened due to the fact that she became tired of the man part and wanted little ol' lady but he wasnt savvy with that so we have the short version.
Yes I do know that this could be offensive, but I know it would have my 88 yr old grandparents in stiches. We do respect and revere elderly, for their wisdom and knowledge. But I think many people have a sense of humour and just as I dont mind short people comments, I do no think that elderly people would mind my childrens little ol'.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I think some of those "little 'ol" pics look worse than my nursing home residents!

Jo Abair said...

Hey!!! I think you are just on the look out for more residents.

Jo Abair said...
This comment has been removed by the author.